Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport (TRS)
History, Facts and Overview
(Roncha dei Legionari, Trieste, Italy)
In the mid-1930s, the Royal Italian Air Force chose a site next to Ronchi dei Legionari for an airbase, strategically being sited in the heart of north-eastern Italy. In 1956, the Military of Defence agreed the airbase could be used as a commercial airport for Trieste, and various upgrades commenced, including the building of a new runway and terminal.
Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport (TRS) began its first commercial flights in 1961 and was soon connecting a number of prominent locations in Italy, including Rome. International charter flights began in 1967, flying to Dusseldorf in Germany, and by 1970, Trieste Airport was serving more than 100,000 passengers each year.
By 1982, the runway had been lengthened to 3,000 metres / 9,840 feet and a new Control Tower erected. The year of 1998 was an extremely important time in the history of Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport, when its new facilities were unveiled, comprising separate passenger and cargo terminals. This immediately increased the potential capacity to around 1.5 million passengers every year, although this has yet to be reached.
Facilities at Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport include a range of shops selling duty-free goods, travel items and local souvenirs and crafts, while refreshments are available at the airport's eateries. Business passengers can take advantage of the facilities at the airport's VIP lounge, while large groups can book a well-equipped conference room in advance. Discounts are available for those with a frequent flier's FVG Blue Card. Internet access in accessible within the arrivals hall, using Telecom Italia telephone cards.